The house was built in 1813 and expanded in the 1830s. An example of Greek revival architecture from the Federal period, it retains lovely features for today’s guests: eleven foot ceilings, wide plank floors, blown glass window panes, and old-growth trees on the grounds (black walnut, horse chestnut and hickory).
Oliver Phelps, together with his partner Nathan Gorham, were the original ‘land-developers’ in America. They purchased six million acres in the Finger Lakes area with plans to sell to settlers expanding westward in the newly independent United States. Unfortunately unrest on the frontier slowed migration and led to the venture’s bankruptcy. Oliver’s grandson and namesake acquired this house in 1816. It remained the Phelps family home until 1925 when it was sold to the Christian Science Church. It served as their place of worship for the next 50 years. Returning to private ownership in 1975, it became the first bed and breakfast in Canandaigua in the early 1980′s. It has been successful as one ever since.
We are Lynne and Bill Keiper, fourth generation innkeepers at the ‘OP’ taking over in April 2013. We’re very grateful to the previous owners for the efforts they made in maintaining the character and comfort of the home. Really we are more ‘caretakers’ and not owners of a place like this. It’s a joy to share it with our guests.
• Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce
• ESBBA (Empire State Bed and Breakfast Assoc.)
• Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance
• FLBBA (Finger Lakes Bed and Breakfast Assoc.)
• CLABBA (Canandaigua Lake Area Bed and Breakfast Assoc.)
For questions or to make a reservation: call us at 585-396-1650 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also Make a Reservation Online.